Exhibition: St Clement's Workhouse to Our House
Shuffle was awarded Heritage Lottery funding to curate and produce this exhibition. We worked together with Mile End Films and Queen Mary University, who produced the evening events. The exhibition ran from Feb 22 - 28, 2014.
The Bow Road workhouse was built in 1849 by the Board Of Guardians of the City Of London Union to house the destitute and infirm. This exhibition looked at the lives of the inmates and staff - what is was like, why it existed and what happened when it changed. It explored the operation of the facility as a Psychiatric Hospital and its closure in 2005.
We celebrate the preservation of the public ownership of this site as an asset to be transferred from the GLA to a Community Foundation, comprised of local stakeholders, who will own the freehold and potentially govern the commercial and community space within the new development. This will create an active street frontage on the bustling Bow Road and a new creative, cultural and community-led public space and heart for Mile End.